Wednesday 2 May 2012

Lamb, spinach & feta sausage rolls

I have been known to make the odd sausage roll here and there over the years and have tried many sausage rolls also. B has been fortunate to sample some sausage rolls from Bourke Street Bakery in Sydney and has lent me her Bourke Street cook book for a while. Actually it has just come to my attention as to why I have been so lucky that B has actually parted with one of her most prized possessions! No I haven't made those ginger brulee tarts that you suggested! (Just in case she is reading my post today!)

Back to the task at hand - sausage rolls! I am a little partial to the good old homemade ones I'm afraid and you can really add anything you like to make your own creations and using different minces, lamb, beef, chicken or chickpeas for the vegetarians out there.

My little beasts love them and over the years I have managed to hide all kinds of healthy vegetables in the mince (if only they knew!). I was a little scared of them turning their noses up at these ones as the word "spinach" sent alarm bells ringing in my head as it meant the texture could have a slight green colour appearance once they took their first bite. I was very wrong.....they LOVED them and you could barely tell there was anything healthy hiding inside the sausage roll.

I had never tried using lamb mince in a sausage roll before but I found the flavour with the feta and spinach to excite my taste buds. This recipe makes quite a few and I was able to freeze some and give to B (I do share sometimes!) and I'm sure Mr B enjoyed every last crumb.

This recipe was found in what is turning out to be one of my kitchen must-have books - "My favourite food for all seasons" by Janelle Bloom.



You will need:
1kg lamb mince
6 green onions, finely chopped
2 cups finely shredded English spinach or silverbeet
1 cup soft white breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted, chopped
2 eggs
150g marinated feta, well drained
frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
tomato chutney, to serve

Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 large flat baking trays with baking paper.

Process your breadcrumbs in the food processor.
Combine the mince, green onions, spinach, breadcrumbs, parsley, pine nuts and 1 egg in a large bowl.
Mix with clean hands until well combined.




Crumble over the feta and stir gently to combine. Season with a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Cut 1 pastry sheet in half. Beat the remaining egg with a fork. Spoon the filling in a sausage shape along the long edge closest to you. Brush the opposite long edge lightly with beaten egg. Roll up and press the pastry edges together to seal.
Repeat with remaining filling and pastry. Cut each roll into smaller ones. Brush the top of each sausage roll with egg. Place seam side down onto trays, allowing room for spreading. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and puffed. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature with tomato chutney.


Enjoy! M

No comments:

Post a Comment