Wednesday 23 May 2012

Strawberry brioche pudding

I remember a certain someone but-not-mentioning-any-names-not-even-my-partner-in-crime-Betty (whoops, did I just say her name?) was only days away from her little bun being fully baked in her own little oven and me being me (wonderful, charming, good looking of course and just so kind hearted - and so modest!) decided to make B and Mr B something delightful and downright delicious so B could rest her swollen tired feet. Strawberries were in their prime at this particular time and I found the perfect dessert in one of my Donna Hay mags (Issue 60 Dec/Jan 2012 page 104).

I personally have never been a huge fan of bread and butter puddings but growing up with parents that would make them and also the original grandma rice puddings I decided I needed to see what all the fuss was actually about and I do like a good custard.

I headed to B's place early in the morning as I had decided to make this at her house and use her kitchen so she didn't have to worry about leaving her little nest (plus I didn't like the idea of boiling my kettle and using my towels incase I had to play mid-wife!). I set about invading her kitchen and I'm sure she will be the first to tell the whole wide world what a tidy chef I am (right B? Right???).

This strawberry brioche bread and butter pudding was easy to make and looked so beautiful with the bright colour of the strawberries. It must have passed the taste test because instead of offering the head chef a small morsal she whisked me out of her house so she could have her afternoon siesta and no sooner had I turned the corner I had a message on my phone telling me she had sampled some pudding (and couldn't stop sampling it - can't blame a hungry pregnant lady I guess!). I received the thumbs up from Mr B also but I neglected to tell my Mr M what I had made as he would have felt like he missed out!


You will need:
2 cups milk (500ml)
2 1/2 cups (625ml) single (pouring) cream - yes I know not great for the thighs!
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200g brioche loaf, sliced (I could only find one with choc chips so I used that)
1/4 cup (40g) currants
750g strawberries, hulled and halved
1/4 cup (55g) raw sugar


Preheat oven to 200 degrees (400F). Place the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until just boiling. Remove from the heat and set aside. Place the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually whisk the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture to combine.


Arrange the brioche slices in the base of a lightly greased 8 cup-capacity (2litre) baking dish. Pour the custard over the brioche and top with the currants and strawberries.




Sprinkle with the sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serves 6.



I'm sure Betty (and Baby B) enjoyed every last spoonful! x



















No comments:

Post a Comment