Monday 6 June 2011

Chilli beef with crispy rosti top

If you like a little spice (and I'm am talking food here) well this hearty dish is for you. Following on from the Beef stew with the dumplings that we posted earlier, this is another rich delicious casserole/stew for these cooler months.

I always remember as a kid when Mum would bring out a casserole and the look of terror on my face "Not again!" I wasn't a fan of gravy so I think that's why I didn't enjoy casseroles (Now I know where my number 1 daughter gets it from!!).

I have changed my tune now that I have 'matured'. I'm actually loving the odd casserole/stew now but was making one particular beef casserole that my Dad had taught me over and over again. I think Mr M is very pleased now that I have moved on from the one and only that I was making for some time onto some even more taster ones which I really want to share with you.

This dish does have a bite and when I made it I did reduce the amount of chilli flakes but not by much, so if you like it a little spicy stick to the amount or even add extra if you like it really HOT.

Mr M had some of the leftovers the next day and said "It was even better". He did mention that the mixture would be great in a pie also which I think would be a great idea and may even give that a go next time.


You will need:
1kg piece gravy beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
1 cinnamon stick
800g can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups beef stock

Potato rosti
750g Pontiac or Sebago potatoes, washed
60g butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil

Cut the beef into large pieces, about 10cm each. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and half the beef. Cook for 4-5 minutes, turning until browned all over. Remove the beef to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and beef.



Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions and garlic . Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the cumin, chilli and cinnamon stick. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Return the beef and any juices to the pan with the tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to very low. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 2 hours, checking every 30 minutes to make sure the beef is not sticking to the pan. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees fan forced.



Meanwhile, for the potato rosti, place the unpeeled potatoes in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-high and boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl.

Stir in the butter and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss well to combine. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add a little oil to cover the base, then add heaped spoonfuls of potato to the pan. Cook, in batches, for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.


Transfer the beef to a plate and shred with 2 forks. Bring the tomato mixture to the boil. Boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the sauce reduces slightly. Remove the cinnamon stick. Add the shredded beef and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Spoon the chilli beef into a 6-cup capacity baking dish, top with rosti, sprinkle with salt and serve.


Enjoy M x

No comments:

Post a Comment