Tuesday 26 July 2011

Quick coconut & lime cake

My early memories of my cooking obsession go back to my early years watching my Mother whip up creations and also to the many dinner parties that my parents would host. I also studied home economics at school and remember how I enjoyed being partnered with a particular friend and the antics we would get up to. This was, of course, whilst following the strict instructions of our teacher. I would be in fits of laughter, as I'm sure we would eat most of the ingredients before we would even start the recipe, especially if cream was involved.

It was then on to High school and many fond memories of cooking continue to flood back. Have you ever been to a friend's places and eaten food that is unforgettably good? Something that just sticks in your memory? I have on a number occasions. So good, that I have had to have the recipe. I remember one such time when I attended a teenager's dinner party hosted by a "Ms K". It was such a great night and the fantastic food made it all the more memorable. I can sit and think about that particular time and see every detail so clearly. The fond memories of that meal are often brought to life when I cook that meal for my three darlings.

I now have my own daughter coming home asking me to make things she has eaten at friends' places! Today, I'm cooking a recipe kindly given to me by one of my Miss 9's friends, "Miss S". Miss 9 came home after a sleepover and just couldn't stop talking about the wonderful time she had, and most importantly, the wonderful "Coconut and Lime Cupcakes" they had devoured. Her first words were, can you make those cakes Mum.

This is a cake recipe, however, I have made cupcakes. All you need to do is adjust your cooking times. It is from Good Taste collection - Anneka Manning

You will need:
150g butter, at room temperature
165g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
2 limes, rind finely grated, juiced
2 large eggs
45g (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour, sifted
icing sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 170 degrees. If you are wanting to make the round cake, line the base of a round 18cm cake pan with non-stick baking paper. Brush the pan with melted butter to grease and then dust with the plain flour to lightly coat. I just used patty cake cases for mine and it made 12.
Place the butter, sugar and lime rind in the bowl of a food processor and process until pale and creamy.
Add the eggs and process until well combined. Add the lime juice, coconut and self-raising flour, and process until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and use the back of the spoon to smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes (my cup cakes took around 25 minutes) or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Set aside for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar (We made a white chocolate ganache)
They were very yummy!! Thanks Miss S and Mother of Miss S.......it says these are best eaten same day! Well I don't think we had any trouble doing that!

Enjoy M x

No comments:

Post a Comment