Thursday 7 April 2011

Chocolate wheaten dominoes

Now I'm guessing but I think B will have something smart to say like - "your really showing your age M" but I'm really obsessed with those chocolate wheaten biscuits you can buy...doesn't even need to have the chocolate on the back for me, but I always remember growing up as a kid and all the "older" people would have them with their coffee or tea and they never interested me then but I could quite easy sit and eat half a packet now! ( I was actually believing they were good for me because they had wheat germ in them!)

I casually stumbled across this recipe from one of my many biscuit books that has become part of my bedtime reading each night and it was a number one priority to make!

I know what most of my friends out there ( and you know who you are) will say - "Too hard", well it's not (Note from B: it really isn't hard - if I, B, can do it - you can too!). If you have kids this is a great one to get them involved, on one of those rainy afternoons or just for something to do. My 3 love them and I have to make double each time I make them, as before they are even cool they seem to disappear off the cooling racks! (Note from B again: you don't have to be a kid to love these M!!).


I think they look great.....you could have a game of dominoes but you would have to be quick before they are all gone!

The Australian Women's Weekly - Cookies and Biscuits page 54
90g butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup (20g) desiccated coconut
1/4 cup (25g) wheat germ ( I found this near the rolled oats)
3/4 cup (120g) wholemeal plain flour
1/3 cup (50g) white self-raising flour
1/4 cup (45g) dark chocolate bits ( I used more as I did a double batch)
150g dark eating chocolate, melted ( I didn't actually spread the backs with chocolate this time but I have done before)

1 Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth, add egg, beat until combined. Stir in coconut. wheat germ and sifted flours.


2 Roll dough between sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Cover, refrigerate 30 minutes. (I did this in the reverse, so I put my dough in the fridge before I rolled it out as it is very soft, this worked out better for me)

3 Preheat oven to 180 degrees/160 degrees fan-forced. Grease oven trays, line with baking paper.


4 Using 9cm square cutter (I bought this great little square cutting set from a fantastic shop in Loganholme called Kitchen Warehouse) cut each square in half to make rectangles. Place about 3cm apart on oven trays. Using a knife, mark (do not cut through) each rectangle across the centre, to make two squares. Press chocolate bits into into each square  to make dominoes.


5 Bake about 12 minutes. Cool on trays.
6 Spread bases of dominoes with melted chocolate, set at room temperature on baking-paper lined oven trays. (I actually didn't cover my bases this time but have done in the past)


I hope you like them as much as we do!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment