Thursday 14 April 2011

Roasted pumpkin and feta risoni salad - Donna Hay

You all know what "Risoni" is right? It's pasta that looks like rice. I first came across it in a soup. I must admit if someone were to ask me before this point, I wouldn't have known. I had never seen a salad with risoni in it until my parents went to a friends place and sampled it. They came home armed with the recipe and I guess that's how it all started.

I'm actually not sharing with you the salad that I learned from my parents just yet, but another risoni recipe that I came across at Christmas time 2010. I was flicking through the pages of my Donna Hay magazine issue 54 and spotted a different risoni salad, this one was a warm one but I actually served it cold on Christmas day. It was very nice and had a slight bite to it but the mint leaves just put the fire out if you had managed to get the odd chilli seed on your tongue.

I received rave reviews from all family members.....even Miss 9 gave it a shot (mind you she did pick out the best bits - the roasted pumpkin!) It's very easy to make and as I made it to have cold we are yet to try it hot. It's just one those salads that you could take to a  family gathering that is a little different than the normal everyday salad that you see.


Donna Hay magazine issue 54 page 39 DEC/JAN 2011
750g butternut pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon each dried chilli flakes and fennel seeds
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
200g warm cooked risoni
4 green onions (scallions), sliced
200g feta, crumbled
1/4 cup (40g) pine nuts, toasted
75g semidried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup each mint leaves and flat leaf parsley leaves - I gave mine a rough chop
2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed

Preheat oven to 200 degrees (400F). Place the pumpkin, chilli, fennel, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of oil on a baking tray and toss to combine.



Roast for 25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Place the warm pasta, pumpkin, onion, feta, pine nuts, tomatoes, mint and parsley in a bowl and mix to combine.


I ran my risoni under cold water after it was cooked so it didn't stick together as i was serving mine cold but if you wanted to serve it hot I would just leave it as you will be dressing it with the olive oil/balsamic and garlic.


Add the vinegar, remaining oil and garlic and toss to combine.
Serves 4

Enjoy! M x

8 comments:

  1. OMG I made this over the weekend and it is fabulous. I searched the net for Risoni salad and your Blog came up , what a gem , cant wait to try more. Thanks heaps. I tend to be a bit heavy handed and this was bursting with flavours. I love you guys !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as the comment above! You came up on a search for risoni and pumpkin salad and I've just finished eating it and WOW. Love it! Thanks. Off to check out the rest of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing, I can't wait to try it!!

    With the Risoni... did you measure out 200g of risoni then cook or is it 200g once cooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there...I actually measured it after it was cooked. I usually cook the entire pack regardless as I have a fussy eater that loves plain pasta.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! Do you think this would still be nice if I used Penne instead of risoni?

      Delete
    3. I guess you could use Penne.....maybe just chop the pumpkin a little larger in size.

      Delete
  4. Hi I wonder if you think this would work with penne instead of risoni??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just chop your other ingredients a little bigger to match the penne....perfect!

      Delete